Men's Lacrosse: Eagles End Season On Up Note, Topping Green Mountain 20-9

Mike Viola posted a hat trick with three assists as the Eagles closed the season with a victory on Monday.

Courtesy Green Mountain Sports Information

POULTNEY, Vt. – Daniel Webster College used a 13-4 goal differential in the second half to pull away from Green Mountain College, 20-9, in its non-conference season finale in men's lacrosse action on Monday afternoon at Eagles Game Field.

Daniel Webster (2-12, 0-10 GNAC) received multiple goal games from four players en route to the victory. David Downie led the way for DWC with eight goals and an assist and the visitors also got sizeable contributions from Anthony Cotoni (4G, 3A), Mike Viola (3G, 3A), Gabe Lewis (3G, 1A) and Andrew Sousa (1G, 4A). Cotoni led DWC on the ground picking up a game-high 16 groundballs and also caused three turnovers.

Green Mountain (0-12, 0-7 NAC) received five markers from Mike Smith who also contributed with six groundballs. Scoring two goals of his own was Charlie Petrick, while Nick Parsons and Kyle Walz each added a goal with Parsons picking up two assists and Walz tallying one helper. Parsons led the Eagles with 14 groundballs while Petrick caused six turnovers.

Green Mountain opened the scoring when Smith took a feed from Parsons and ripped home his first of the game. Less than thirty seconds later Daniel Webster responded with a goal from Sean Hamilton who converted a pass from Cotoni. DWC took advantage of a GMC penalty call as Cotoni scored an unassisted marker on the man up opportunity. Less than a minute later Petrick tied the game at 2-2 with his own unassisted goal.

Downie and Cotoni put the visitors up by two, but Green Mountain was able to get one back as Smith scored on the man advantage to draw the home side to within one at 4-3 as the opening quarter ended.

Both teams scored during a penalty to one of the DWC players, but a goal each by Lewis and Downie extended the visitors lead to 7-4 as the half neared an end. Smith was able to bring GMC to within two goals at 7-5 with his fourth goal of the half before time expired.

Daniel Webster emerged from halftime with a renewed energy and took the tempo of the game up a notch which proved difficult to match for the hosts. After trading goals to open the frame, DWC scored 10 unanswered goals to take a commanding 18-6 lead, essentially putting the game out of reach. Green Mountain played to the final whistle and outscored the visitors 3-2 to close out the scoring, but DWC emerged victorious.

James Bushey got the start in net for Daniel Webster and turned aside eight shots in the first half to earn his first win of the season. Curtis Larade took over net duty in the second half and stopped five of nine shots on net. GMC's Luke Carey made four saves in net for the Eagles.

View: Mobile | Desktop